Worn American Flag Return: Capital Region Locations
Our flag is such an important symbol of our country and must be treated with respect. After hanging outside for months at a time, in various weather conditions, they get worn, but you can't just throw them away.
If you have a worn American flag and want to dispose of it respectfully, the New York State Office of General Services is collecting flags statewide to retire them. News 10 is reporting drop-off locations where you can bring your worn and tattered flags from May 8 through May 23 to be formally retired. The collected flags will be disposed of at the Memorial Watchfire hosted by the Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 103 on Sunday, May 27th at the New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse.
Governor Cuomo said, "American flags should be retired with respect and honor and this collection program provides New Yorkers with a simple way to accomplish this."
Here are the Capital Region locations where you can drop off your flag to be retired:
- Alfred E. Smith Building, 80 South Swan St., Albany
- New York State Capitol, Washington Avenue, Albany
- Empire State Plaza Main Concourse, Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Agency Buildings 1,2,3,4 - Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Legislative Office Building Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Robert Abrams Building for Law and Justice Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Swan Street Building, Core 2 and Core 3, Empire State Plaza, Albany
- Harriman Campus Buildings 5, 6, 7, 7A, 8, 12 Harriman Campus, 1220 Washington Ave., Albany
- Ten Eyck Building, 40 North Pearl St., Albany
- 50 Wolf Road, Albany
- 625 Broadway, Albany
- Hampton Plaza, 38-40 State St., Albany
- 44 Holland Ave., Albany